Ayurveda

Chemical Food Poisoning From Plants and Seafood

Chemical food poisoning

can be caused by consuming plants or animals that produce poisonous chemicals or toxins. Some plants and shrubs along with a few varieties of fish produce certain chemicals that can have some unwanted affects on the body and can also potentially lead to one’s death. Chemical food poisoning can also be the resultant of consuming fruits or vegetables contaminated by fertilizers and pesticides.

Chemical Food Poisoning from Plants and Mushrooms:

Not all the species of mushrooms can be used for cooking. In fact, only a select few are useful for cooking purposes. The rest are harmful as they are poisonous. Mushrooms can get poisonous while cooking or during their growth itself. Even the most learned cannot sometimes differentiate the good ones from the bad ones.

  • The

    chlorophyllum molybdites

    (the mushrooms usually found in lawns) can cause vomiting and bloody stools. These symptoms can last for up to 24 hours before they begin to subside.

  • The

    Psilocybe genus

    can affect the brain and spine. Hallucinations, euphoria, rapid heart beat and high blood pressure are the usual symptoms which also subside gradually without the need for any treatment.

  • In the above two cases of mushroom varieties, the symptoms are almost immediate (one can begin to experience them within 15 minutes to 2 hours). In such cases, there is no need to panic as the symptoms usually subside on their own.
  • But, if the symptoms begin to show at least after 6 hours of ingestion, then it can be dangerous. The species of

    Inocybe,

    Clitocybe

    (not all though),

    Gyromitra, Amanita

    and the

    Cotinarius genera

    can cause sever diarrhea and vomiting along with kidney failure as well.

  • Apart from mushrooms, some shrubs like the

    water hemlock, poison hemlock, jequiruty beans

    and

    castor beans

    can be poisonous and can also cause death.

Poisoning from Seafood:

Several species of fish which are found in the Pacific are poisonous given that a eat microscopic sea organisms. The toxins produced by these fish cannot be destroyed either during processing or cooking.

  • Consuming shellfish from the Pacific between the months of June and October is also not recommended.
  • The symptoms of seafood poisoning include muscle aches, headache, diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramps.

Chemical food poisoning

caused by plants and seafood can be treated with the help of fluids that flush out toxins from the stomach.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *