Top 5 Liver Health Tips
The liver is a large glandular organ which is responsible for a lot of metabolic activities of the body. It is responsible for converting food into energy. It is of utmost importance to be informed about the dos and donts of
. There are more than 100 known liver diseases. Some of them have the potential of becoming life threatening.
Liver Disease is among the top 10 diseases causing mortality in the United States of America. One out of every 10 Americans are affected by some sort of liver ailment. A lot of liver diseases are brought about by poor lifestyle choices. Some of the most common and prevalent diseases of the liver like Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Fatty Liver Disease , Non Alcholoic SteatoHepatitis (NASH), and chronic liver ailments due to alcohol abuse, all of them can be prevented.
Top 5 Liver Health Tips
1. Have a Healthy Lifestyle
- Having a healthy weight is very important.
- Watch your calorie intake and make prudent food choices. Keep away from fatty foods and saturated fats.
- Complement a healthy diet with a regular exercise regimen.
- Drink lots of water to help the liver flush out toxins.
2. Stay away from alcohol and drugs
- Alcohol is behind a lot of serious diseases of the said organ. Chronic alcohol abuse is like a voluntary act of abusing the liver. It can cause diseases like cirrhosis of liver which might turn life threatening.
- Addiction to drugs, chemicals like cocaine, marijuana etc can cause a lot of damages to the liver. Stay away from them.
3. Be informed about your medications
- A lot of drugs can induce hepatotoxicity or liver damage. If you have a history of high liver enzymes like ALT , AST or Bilirubin be very careful about the medications you are taking.
- Do not pop pills randomly. A lot of over the counter drugs, especially pain medications can cause serious damage to the liver. Consult your doctor about the right dosage.
- Mixing drugs (even the therapeutic ones) and alcohol can harm your liver.
- Be informed about the dos and donts of the medicines you are taking.
4. Be Cautious
- It is very important to engage in safe sex. Hepatitis B is spread through unprotected sex.
- Do not share needles.
- Body Piercings and tattoos should be done with only sterile needles and equipment.
- Do not share razors, tooth brushes or personal items.
5. Avoid inhaling or touching toxins
- Keep yourself away from direct contact with industrial toxins like arsenic, vinyl chloride and carbon tetrachloride. Arsenic is commonly found in soil and can seep into the drinking water system.
- Common everyday houshold items like cleaning solutions, pesticides, insecticides etc may contain a lot of toxins we are unaware of. Limit direct contact with them.
- Avoid smoking. Cigarette has a lot of additives other than tobacco and can do a lot of harm to